Book Review Title: Am Amazing Way To Deal With Change
Book Author: Spencer Johnson
This is a book I read some 13 years back when I was sent as a fresh school principal and I still keep a copy of the book as my close associate and adviser, especially in when it comes to dealing with change.
The story of ‘Who Moved My Cheese? revolves around four characters, two humans and two mice. Hem and Haw, Sniff and Scurry look for cheese in a Maze to keep themselves well fed and happy. ‘Cheese’ here is the metaphor of what we actually aspire to have in life be it in personal life or work. The ‘Maze’ in the story is a metaphor of where we spend our time looking for what we want.
The way the four characters look for cheese, find the cheese, enjoy the cheese and then look for new cheese unveils the very characteristic of how people deal with change in every walk of our life.
Some of the quotes as written on the walls of their home by Hem and Haw read as follows:
1. Having Cheese Makes You Happy.
2. The More Important Your Cheese is To You The More You Want To Hold On To It.
3.If You Do Not Change You Can Become Extinct.
4. What Would You Do If You Weren’t Afraid?
5. Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It is Getting Old.
6. Movement In A New Direction Helps You Find New Cheese.
7. When You Stop Being Afraid, You Feel Good.
8. Imagining Yourself Enjoying New Cheese Leads You To It.
9.The Quicker You Let Go of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Will Find New Cheese.
10. It Is Safer To Search In The Maze Than Remain In A Cheese less Situation.
11. Old Beliefs Do Not Lead You To New Cheese.
12. When You See That You Can Find and Enjoy New Cheese, You Change Course.
13. Noticing Small Changes Early Helps You Adapt To The Bigger Changes That Are To Come.
14. Move With The Cheese And Enjoy It.
These are the Mantras for the Game Changer to face the Change in Your Life. You won’t believe how this book brought about immense change in my life. I was becoming a bit frustrated in my work place. I was like in this organisation there is no point giving your best. After all whether you are a performer or non-performer, there is no difference. I was getting more and more frustrated at the way the things were happening in our organisation.
I did not even feel like going to office. In the midst of my frustration I was browsing through my book shelve to calm my disturbed self.
There in the collection of my books, I noticed “Who Moved My Cheese?” And it brought out a whole lot of memories back then when I opted for a change.
I picked up the book and re-read it once again. I got reminded of the 14 mantras in the book and then suddenly I felt a huge weight lifted off my chest.
I was like Why was I even angry? I smiled to myself and made up my mind. Since then I have stopped complaining. I realised that My Cheese has been moved and I need to find new ways to get to the Cheese Station.
And today I know that I need to constantly keep myself updated to find ways to get to my Cheese Station.
Enjoy The Book!